Job Opportunity: Operations & Events Manager
Title: Operations & Events Manager
Exempt status: ☒Y ☐N Position status: ☒FT ☐PT ☐Temp
Reports to: Deputy Director Pay: ☐Hourly ☒Salary
The Operations & Events Manager is the champion of excellent visitor experience and customer service for guests of the museum during their exhibition visits, as well as their attendance at museum-led and paid rental events. The Operations & Events Manager is also accountable for working with other members of the administrative staff to ensure that internal museum operations run smoothly, including office management duties and coordinating facility maintenance and repair.
This position is a supervisory one, and 4-7 Visitor Services Representatives (VS) are direct reports, all of whom are part-time hourly staff. This position also is accountable for on-site membership sales and museum store retail sales, merchandising, inventory, and profit.
The Operations & Events Manager is a full-time, 40-hour a week, exempt position. The schedule will often follow the museum administrative hours of M-F, 9am-5pm, but work on weekends, evenings, and holidays is required to support events and busy
times at the museum.
I. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Staff & Volunteer Management
- Lead and manage the VS staff, acting as liaison between VS staff and other administrative staff
- Ensure museum is staffed appropriately at all times, issuing monthly VS schedules, and working with VS staff as scheduling issues arise
- Hire new VS staff as needed to ensure appropriate museum staffing
- Train all new VS staff, and ensure ongoing VS staff has necessary information and training to complete their duties
- Deliver annual financial goals for on-site membership sales, setting VS goals and incentives for sales
- Manage and maintain VS Manual and Information Binder
- Manage and maintain TIPS Alcohol Certifications for VS and administrative staff
- Submit and approve VS staff hours for payroll every 2 weeks
- Perform all duties and functions of VS Representative when required, including working at front desk, in galleries, in event set up and tear down, and as a bartender/server at on-site and off-site events
- Monitor gallery spaces and offer interpretation of curatorial content to museum guests; ensure VS staff is monitoring galleries and providing interpretation
- Monitor and report gallery, artwork, and building issues to Exhibitions Project Manager (EPM)
- Assist Exhibitions department with scheduling of VS staff for installation and maintaining of galleries as requested
- Maintain and clean galleries and public spaces as needed, and lead the timely ordering and inventory of cleaning supplies
- Schedules cleaning company to perform cleaning duties of exhibition galleries, event space and offices as needed.
- Partner with Deputy Director to manage facilities repair and maintenance, managing facilities contractors when appropriate
- Maintains the museum storage (basement) organized and clean at all times
- Lead on-site event execution for museum-led and paid rental events, ensuring staffing, set up, run of the event, and clean up are handled in an efficient and effective manner
- Act as primary liaison between BMoCA Staff and Three Leaf Catering (TLC), the external partner responsible for paid rental event booking and client service. This includes ensuring excellent and timely communication between BMoCA and TLC for all aspects of the paid rental process (event scheduling & booking, set up needs, rental equipment and liquor delivery scheduling, venue fee payment, on-site event logistics, liquor coordination and payment, contract documentation, etc.)
- Lead bookings and client service for rental clients that do not plan to engage TLC for catering services.
- Work with TLC and BMoCA team to recommend and execute approved marketing strategies and tactics to increase inquiries and bookings
- Manage liquor at all paid rental events and ensure compliance with BMoCA Arts Liquor License regulations
- Act as steward for BMoCA’s interests and the safety of the exhibited artwork at all events
- Lead Museum Store profit and loss management to ensure Museum Store delivers on annual financial goals, providing financial reporting as requested
- Manage Museum Store inventory, purchasing, merchandising, and appearance
- Act as staff owner of Shopify POS system, ensuring it is effectively being used for museum store and admission functions and reporting
- Work with VS Representatives and accounting department to ensure accuracy in daily deposits, museum store sales and consignment payments, and other financial tracking and processes as requested
- Attend weekly BMoCA administrative staff meetings and event execution meetings, bringing VS staff input to the meeting for discussion, and communicating key information from the meetings to VS staff
- Ensure accurate on-site attendance recording and reporting, including attendance numbers for evening/rental events
- Meet goals for exhibition visitor surveys distribution and collection, including developing each exhibition survey, incenting VS staff to distribute and collect surveys, compiling survey results, and sharing key survey information with other administrative staff
- Collaborate with Education department to help manage private tour inquiries and payments; schedule knowledgeable VS staff to lead tours if requested
- Manage compliance and annual renewal of BMoCA’s Arts Liquor License
- Manage office supply needs and ordering
- Partner with Deputy Director to manage IT contractor’s support of office IT hardware and software systems
II. Education and/or Experience:
- 3-5 years of experience in customer service and event management
- 1-2 years of experience effectively leading a team comprised of part-time staff members
- Past museum experience and/or experience managing a physical facility are a plus
- BA or BS degree preferred
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in a fast-paced environment, exhibiting flexibility, a positive attitude, and a willingness to support the organizational vision of BMoCA staff and Board leadership.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively interact with people of diverse socioeconomic, cultural, ability, and ethnic backgrounds
- Service oriented style and effectiveness in providing exceptional customer service
- Clear concise written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, and administrative skills
- Ability to be a motivational leader for part-time team
- Ability to take initiative and be self-directed, and be a team player
- Ability to adapt and problem solve in changing situations
- General understanding of budget development and tracking, and financial reporting
- Strong detail orientation and ability to manage numerous projects
- Proficient in the use of Google Suite of products
- Ability to routinely lift up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to routinely walk up and down stairs.
- Hold a valid driver’s license.
- Specific vision abilities included, close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with varying physical abilities to perform essential functions.
Hours & compensation
The Exhibitions and Operations Manager position is full-time, exempt position requiring 40 hours per week and attendance at on-site events in the evenings and on weekends. Occasional travel may be required.
The salary range for this position is $45,000-$50,000 based on experience. This position includes health and dental benefits, paid vacation, access to a 401K plan, a RTD EcoPass, and a complimentary gym membership to One Boulder Fitness.
Boulder Museum of Contemporary Art is an equal opportunity employer and considers all candidates for employment regardless of race, color, sex, age, national origin, creed, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or political affiliation.